375 years of Madras

March of Madras

Print edition : September 05, 2014

An aquatint of the Fort Square inside Fort St. George by Thomas Daniell, preserved at the Fort Museum. Photo: S.R. Raghunathan

The Chandragiri Fort, now in Tirupati district of Andhra Pradesh, where the firman was signed. Photo: The Hindu Archives

A plaque at the Fort that traces its history and mentions the signing of the document on Fort St. George.

A painting of Robert Clive at the Fort Museum. Clive was 18 years old when he first came to Madras in 1743 to serve the East India Company. His career as a general and administrator began in south India. Photo: S.R. Raghunathan

The house in the Fort where Robert Clive lived for a while. Photo: BIJOY GHOSH

The Victoria Memorial Hall in the Government Museum at Egmore. It houses the National Art Gallery. Photo: The Hindu Archives

The present seat of the government. It was Fort House in colonial times, the Governor's residence. But this structure was not the original Fort House, which was the first house to come up in the Fort. It was pulled down in the 1690s, and the present structure was built in its place. Photo: K. Pichumani

College of Engineering, Guindy. It grew out of the first institution of technical education east of Europe, the Government Survey School, established in 1794. Photo: K.V. Srinivasan

The Kapalisvarar Temple in Mylapore, with the spire of the San Thome Basilica visible in the background. The temple was built in the 16th century. Photo: M. SRINATH

Fort St. George and its environs in 1905. Photo: Vintage Vignettes

Fort St. George and its environs in 2005. Photo: D. Krishnan

The colonial city now called Chennai turns 375 on August 22. A survey of its growth and transformation from the time Fort St. George came up.

    Related Articles

    MEDIA

    This article is closed for comments.
    Please Email the Editor
    ×