Place names

A place for murderers!

Print edition : September 05, 2014

A street in "Kolaikaranpettai". The origin of the name is still fiercely debated. Photo: S.R. Raghunathan

One of the wells that Francis Whyte Ellis dug in 1818 still survives. Only four wells remain in the area in North Chennai called Seven Wells and they are enclosed in sheds. Photo: B. JOTHI RAMALINGAM

Salt Cotaurs, the place in north Chennai where salt from nearby salt pans used to be packed before being transported to various places. Photo: B. JOTHI RAMALINGAM

The historian R. Nagaswamy pointing to Rajendra Chola's inscription of A.D. 1015 referring to Vyasarpadi at Dandisvarar temple at Velachery. Photo: R. Shivaji Rao

Many place names in the city have interesting tales to tell and there are fierce debates over some.
    This article is closed for comments.
    Please Email the Editor