Private domination of education

Private reign

Print edition :
The latest AISHE report on higher education shows rising enrolment and a gargantuan private presence in the sector.

THE key findings of the All India Survey on Higher Education's (AISHE) 2016-17 report are that enrolment in higher education has been growing steadily in the past few years and private players dominate the sector to an abnormally high degree.

Enrolment rose from about 2.91 crore in 2011-12 to 3.45 crore in 2015-16, a growth of about 18.5 per cent. Male enrolment rose from 1.61 crore to 1.85 crore in the respective years, up 14.9 per cent, while female enrolment was up from 1.3 crore to 1.6 crore, a rise of 23 per cent.

The number of colleges and recognised institutions in the country totalled 35,707, of which private unaided institutions accounted for 22,468, nearly 63 per cent. Private aided institutions totalled 4,870, or about 13.6 per cent, bringing the total private presence in the sector to around 75.6 per cent. Among standalone institutions, private unaided (5,054) and private aided (761) institutions together accounted for about 74 per cent.

The report showed that the representation of teachers according to socioeconomic groups was skewed in favour of members of the general category, who accounted for 58.2 per cent of all positions, followed by members of Other Backward Classes (31.3 per cent). Members of Scheduled Castes (8.3 per cent) and Scheduled Tribes (2.2 per cent) together accounted for only about 10.5 per cent.

More universities are located in urban areas (487) than rural areas (341), according to the report. Gujarat and Karnataka had the highest number of urban universities (40 each), followed by Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh (38 each)l, while Rajasthan topped in rural universities (32), followed by Tamil Nadu (30) and Gujarat (25).

A letter from the Editor


Dear reader,

The COVID-19-induced lockdown and the absolute necessity for human beings to maintain a physical distance from one another in order to contain the pandemic has changed our lives in unimaginable ways. The print medium all over the world is no exception.

As the distribution of printed copies is unlikely to resume any time soon, Frontline will come to you only through the digital platform until the return of normality. The resources needed to keep up the good work that Frontline has been doing for the past 35 years and more are immense. It is a long journey indeed. Readers who have been part of this journey are our source of strength.

Subscribing to the online edition, I am confident, will make it mutually beneficial.

Sincerely,

R. Vijaya Sankar

Editor, Frontline

Support Quality Journalism

MEDIA

This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
×