`I want the case to be reopened'

Published : Aug 01, 2003 00:00 IST



Interview with Zahira Sheikh.

Excerpts from an interview Zahira Sheik gave Dionne Bunsha:

What made you decide to turn hostile in court?

When summons came to my house, I was under a lot of tension. I had to go to the court. I didn't even know who my government lawyer was. I even asked the relief committee who my lawyer was. But they also didn't know. I didn't know what to do.

On the other side, there were threats to kill me. They said, `Don't go to court. We will kill your family. Even if you go to court, speak in our favour. Don't identify the accused. Otherwise your family will not be spared.'

I was in a dilemma. Whether to save the lives of my family or to make sure that those who killed and burned our family were punished. I didn't know which one to choose. I decided to save my family.

When did the threats start?

After I was summoned. Four or five days before I went to court.

Who was threatening you?

There was a man, Lal Mohammed, in our neighbourhood. His timber shop opposite our house was also burned in the riots. And he lived on the road. He kept telling us: "Don't let her testify. With one testimony your life can be saved or it can be finished."

When did you first meet Madhu Shrivastav?I saw him in the court.

Was he calling to threaten you? Or was it only Lal Mohammed?

I didn't know who Madhu Shrivastav was. Just as I was entering the court, Chandrakant `Bhattu' Shrivastav, the Congress councillor, saw me downstairs and said: "Decide now. Do you want to save your family's lives or do you want these people to be punished? Even now you have time to think." I didn't believe him at that time. Even then, I thought `No, I'll fight'.

So when did you decide to alter your statement?

When my name was called and I had to go on the witness stand.

Earlier, Bhattu had told me downstairs: "The police are with us. Your government lawyer has also joined hands with us. Nothing will happen to you."

When you received threats did you inform anyone? The police? The relief committee?

Before my summons came, I had gone to all the relief groups. I told them I wanted my private lawyer. I didn't trust a government lawyer. But they didn't support me. They said they couldn't do anything.

If I had gone to the police, they wouldn't have filed the complaint. The government is theirs. The police have joined hands with them.

What happened when you went to court? What was the atmosphere in the court?

Three of us had gone to the court - me, my mother and my younger brother. The atmosphere was very dangerous. There was a big crowd. Everyone was staring at me. I could see all the Bajrang Dal people and all the people from our neighbourhood, Hanuman Tekri, who had killed and burned our family and home. I felt really scared.

Madhu Shrivastav was standing opposite me while I was in the witness box. Seeing him, I got even more nervous. I didn't know who he was then. But he looked very dangerous.

The lawyer was also not mine. I didn't know whether to speak the truth or not. Two things repeatedly worried me. One was the safety of my family. And the other was to get the culprits punished. Between the two, I had to choose my family's lives.

How did you land up in Madhu Shrivastav's car while leaving the court if you did not know who he was?

When my testimony was over, I went to my government lawyer Raghuvir Pandya's office. I was waiting for my mother there. In his office, the same man who I thought was a goonda was waiting. I got scared. What was he doing here? He was standing there (in the court), and now he is here also.

Then, a reporter came up to me to ask why I changed my testimony. I was going to tell him, but before I could, the person grabbed his hand and took him out of the office. The reporter got angry and said that he only wanted to speak to me. Then he told the reporter: "You don't know who I am. I am Madhu Shrivastav, the MLA from here." The reporter told him that he only wanted to speak to me for two minutes. But Madhu got rid of him. That's when I knew he was Madhu Shrivastav.

Then why did you leave in his car?

I don't know whose car it was. My brother told me to go. I asked him whose car it was but he didn't reply. He (Madhu) was not in the car with us.

Did you remain in Vadodara after the testimony?

Yes, I was there for two days. I was under great tension. I kept fretting that because of my testimony the criminals would not be punished. Those who had done this to us could do it to others also. In front of my eyes, they hacked a two-year-old child to pieces. They burned people alive. I didn't eat or drink anything for two days. Then I decided to go to my village in Uttar Pradesh for some time.

Even there, people asked me a lot of questions. They said: "Zahira have you taken a lot of money and run to the village?" I asked them who was spoiling my name. I told them that I didn't get anything. I was threatened, that was why I changed my testimony. People were falsely accusing me. I didn't want to stay there any longer. I wanted to go back to Vadodara because people were falsely accusing me. So I came back to Baroda on July 3.

Will you go back to Vadodara?

The area we are living in is Madhu's area. He is the man who threatened us. He can do anything to us.

I want the case to be reopened but I don't want to fight it in Gujarat. I am ready to fight it anywhere else in India.

Are you not more under threat, now that you have come out with the truth?

When I came back to Gujarat, everyone knew I was back. The media also came to my house. I had to speak.

Now I am not in Gujarat. I am in Mumbai, so now I am not scared.

Sign in to Unlock member-only benefits!
  • Bookmark stories to read later.
  • Comment on stories to start conversations.
  • Subscribe to our newsletters.
  • Get notified about discounts and offers to our products.
Sign in


Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide to our community guidelines for posting your comment